Saturday 12 July 2014

My Struggle With Self-Harm

The topic of self-harm. I started when I had another one of my mental breakdowns. It was at my primary school's corridor, and I found a sharp piece of glass inside my school bag. From what, I'll never know, but all I know is that it was there for me when I first needed it.

It wasn't planned or anything, I never even thought of self-harming before that one incident. I used it on my wrist, and all I felt was... joy, intense happiness, like nothing mattered any more, as long as I have the piece of glass with me wherever I went. It hurts, but only if I want it to.

From that day on, all of the words people called me, I used my little piece of glass to help me cope. It was my coping mechanism, nothing else seemed to work. The bruises I got, I thought I deserved them. I was stupid, ugly, who would wan me even without the scars, cuts and bruises that littered my body? So i allowed them to continue, but what they didn't know I did to myself, wouldn't hurt them, would it? So I continued.

They didn't realise I was harming myself until the year after, I 'celebrated' my one year 'anniversary' of having a best friend with showing my scars out to the world, not caring who saw. But my personal torturers saw, and from then on, my life got a whole lot worse.

And again, I depended on my best friend so much more. At the end of that year, I had 30 sharp blades, 20 razor blades, and an infinite amount of small pieces of glass. I hid them everywhere, in classrooms (only the small pieces of glass), in my locker, in my school bag and in pockets on my uniform. Nobody ever saw or questioned me about them, or my scars.

The bullies used my self-harming against me, which in turn made me love and cherish, and not to mention use, my sharp objects a lot more. It was one huge cycle that I did not see could make a big impact and change in my life.

I'm not going very deep into this subject because it's private and personal to me. I'm still trying to get rid of my habit, but as they all say, old habits die HARD.

I used self harming to go against me and the control, or loss of control, of my life. I hated me for it, but I still continued. My body was littered with scars, all over my wrists, on my stomach, inner and outer thighs, my chest, and some even on my neck. But they were always covered with something, and so that way, I could continue my habit and have nobody see.

I didn't know what I did would cause so much damage and after-effects. I loved my blade for so many years, I used it from when I was 7-8 years old until I turned 14. I only just tried to stop, ad I still find it hard to lose that control I had over my life, the only control I had over my life.

All other aspects of my life, they were controlled by my torturers, my parents, school, bullies, and I was confined by the rules and laws of both school and the country. I felt trapped, and my way of release was through self-harming. Because there never was a rule blocking it from happening, was there? So I continued, and loved it for so long. Too long.

I thought my blades were my only weapon against life. But ultimately, I used the weapon, against myself. The only person who actually cared whether the blades were there or not. The only person who could get hurt by them. Me.

I was always screaming out for help through the use of my visible scars, but at the same time, I was hoping nobody would see them. Whenever a teacher walked by, I made sure my wrists were out in the open, but nobody ever saw.

That was the way it continued until ninth grade, and my science teacher, now foster dad, saw them. That wasn't the end of my struggle with self-harm though.  I'm still struggling, trying not to reach for the blade, but I am 7 months clean. Sometimes, I'm so proud of myself for not getting the blade and surviving through the taunts and my cries, but sometimes, I'm just itching for that ONE little cut.

But I know if I allow myself to, just to have ONE little cut for my achievement right now, I know that I will ruin all of my hard work, and the cycle will continue. So if anybody has any suggestions on how to try to stop self-harming, you can write it in the comments below. Please, I need some extra help!

And a tip for people trying to stop self-harming: You're using the blades AGAINST yourself. The ONLY person who cares is YOU. The ONLY person who could get hurt by them. It's all YOU.



2 comments:

  1. Hey! I read your post. I want to let you know that you are not alone in this. Although, I haven't done anything to harm myself yet... I've made many attempts. Every time, I have one of my mental breakdowns, I try to get out the misery by using a Knife... but just then my sanity brings me back. It make me remember, my dream, that has not changed ever since the day i saw it. It's the only thing that keeps me going. So, find yourself that dream too... something that you can hold on to.. something that makes you want to live to see it come true. In times like these, I also write my feelings down in the form of poems or diary entries. I feel good after venting out all my feelings. And please don't hurt yourself.... because, no one's going to care what happens. Even if you end up in a hospital (touch wood... it doesn't happen) ,they may at the most, show some sympathy and some may even talk bad behind your back... So, what I am saying is... that self- harm is not a solution. I know it is hard, but since I also am a part of the concerns you share, I think I can suggest this. In times like these, you need to stay strong and try and think as rationally and practically you can. Because, only reason and sanity can help you here... At least, that's what I think. Stay strong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad you do not self-harm, thinking about it is different to actually doing it. But one day, it might happen. So please, nip this thought in the bud, whilst you still can. Great that you have a dream, though! It might help, one to their own I guess. Find myself that dream... I'm already half living my dream. To get away from the abuse and trauma, and live with a... less dysfunctional family. But my last dream, is to forget the memories. Of course, my dream is, to be frank, impossible. To wind back time? I don't know, I'm just rambling!
    Yes, I do as well, which are all on writerscafe.org haha (I read this after your message!) I also do write it in my diary, but the thing is, once I'm done with it, I want nothing to do with it anymore. I almost toss them all in the bin... stupid of me in hindsight, but in the moment...
    That is true. Nobody will care what happens. And I'm not angry at you for saying that, because I already know that, but am still glad you are not wasting your time trying to show sympathy!!! Thankyou SO much for saying that. Not beating around the bush or anything :)
    Trying to think rationally in times of depression, anxiety and overwhelming feelings... Sinking into depression, is like I feel void of everything. Connection, emotions. So in those times, I cut for two reasons, one being to feel SOMETHING, anything is better than nothing, and I also cut because I can't stand life anymore. Anxiety, to try to get away from that feeling, to ignore the pounding heart, the chills I always get, the paranoia I feel. And overwhelming feelings... well, I'm sure you know! Harder to act upon, but I have the physical support of my (foster) father, and the support of a few people, and that definitely includes you!, online. Hopefully I'll remember it in times of need.
    Thankyou, and you must stay strong too. xxx

    ReplyDelete